Wednesday 21 January 2015

Day 2. Buses, boats, old stuff, lights and common people.

Day 2. Buses, boats, old stuff, lights and common people.

I wasn't up as early as I would have liked but it was still dark. I showered in the best shower ever and dressed for the cold, it was forecast to be around minus 5 in the city today with lots of snow, apparently it hasn't snowed this much in ten years ! In the hotel reception I armed myself with a local map and a "welcome to Reykjavik" card for 2200isk or about a tenner, this card allows unlimited access to the bus network that includes a London underground style map that is really easy to navigate and free entry to all the major museums and galleries, worth the money all day long and if you ever visit Reykjavik I would urge you to buy one.

I walked into town along the footpath that leads around the harbour offering amazing views across to Videy island and the mountains beyond. The town, I keep calling it a town but it is a city albeit a small one around the size of Exeter, has lots of nice shops, cafes, bars and eating establishments, shoppers and coffee drinkers amongst you would be more than happy, remember though that Iceland is almost a cashless society and cards are king, don't be afraid to spend 500isk on your card it's not an issue.

My first stop of the day was the national museum less than a kilometre out of the centre and the other side of a now frozen lake which was safe to walk on bar the bit the council had broken for the many birds including geese and swans that gathered there to be fed by tourists. A couple of hours of pondering the various exhibits in the museum found me a little hungry, so I headed back into the middle of town to find some food. I found a popular looking bar along the main street called Lebowski's, not only named after but completely styled upon the Cohen brother's cult film The Big Lebowski. The food was good and reasonably priced, the service very friendly and in perfect English.
 After I finished lunch I headed down to the harbour area, still a working fishing port and dry dock this is where all the cod and Pollock are landed and processed, it is also the home of the coastguard vessels that engaged with British fishing and naval vessels during the "cod wars" in the 1970's when Iceland expanded its fishing territories from 5 miles to 200 miles causing uproar, the conflicts were brief but saw boats rammed and fishing nets cut in a bitter row that is still talked about frequently today. The main reason for the visit to the harbour was to visit the maritime museum, small but we'll worth the visit. It was soon time to catch the number 6 bus back to Hlemmur and then the number 12 back to the hotel, less than 24 hours and I was travelling like a local !

The temperature was slightly colder than the day before and I knew the North-westerly wind persisted so wind chill would be a massive factor again tonight so I decided to give mother nature both barrels tonight and wear virtually everything I had brought with me. A thermal base layer, two pairs of socks, two pairs of trousers, a t-shirt, a micro fleece, my parka, two pairs of gloves and two hats should do the trick especially if as the local guide said the wind chill would bring the temperature down to a "real feel" minus 20. I wasn't getting dressed up like this to go out for an evening meal, no, it was time to go searching for the lights again. I left at 8pm and after an hours drive found myself in the middle of nowhere again, in the dark hoping that a troll wasn't about to come and prove its existence !

3 hours went by before anything happened, the sky was much clearer than last night and there is was. A green glow dancing across the sky, it wasn't the strongest of displays and faded after about 10 minutes, I was disappointed to say the least. Another hour of cold and the lights came back with a vengeance, more green, a lot brighter and a lot bigger, this is what I had come to see. I know that I don't have the ability to describe such a phenomenon in words so as ever I thought I would let my camera do the talking.

There was a problem. My camera was refusing to work in the cold, I almost don't blame it. The last hope was my phone, a good camera in itself but unfortunately not able to cope with the dark. A four hour drive, 3 hour flight, another 4 hours of travel and a total nearly 9 hours exposed to some seriously cold weather and I could take a photo of the thing I'd come here to see, frustrating to say the least but worth it ? You bet your life it was.

I stayed and watched for another hour until the display faded and the clouds rolled in, time to head back to Reykjavik and celebrate, after all it would only be 3am by the time I got there.

Reykjavik is famed for its night-life and is home to "the coolest bar in the world" or so it is claimed. As a fledgling city Reykjavik loves to name drop and when it comes to bars there is no exception, this bar in particular, Kaffinbarin, is owned by Daman Albarn of the band Blur, he apparently came here and loved it so much he bought the bar. My opinion is that it is small (but most bars here seem to be) pretentious, needlessly expensive and not all that friendly, I would actually go as far to say that it was the least "cool" of all the bars I visited but what would I know. 

Dillon's whiskey bar is worth a visit, the owner Toffi is very friendly, Lebowski's was rammed but great fun and Bravo was an absolute beauty of a bar, again quite small but amazingly friendly, within a few minutes of ordering a beer I had been invited to join in a drinking game with a group of Icelandic girls and guy from the U.S. It was basically a drinking relay race with the baton being passed after you manage to bounce your plastic cup upright and the first team to finish watches the other one do a shot ! The DJ did his thing in the corner supplying bright but inoffensive songs to this point but he obviously felt the need to turn the clock back.....common people by Pulp. A great tune that reminded me of being at school, so there I was, in Reykjavik, drunk at 5.45 am dancing with common people to common people.

All that was left was the walk home.











































No comments:

Post a Comment